- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes
- 1 small sweet onion or red onion, cut in eighths through the root
- 1 slice country-style bread
- Zest and juice of 1 orange or 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces lump crab meat
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish
- Preheat the grill to high heat. If the tomatoes are very large, slice them in half crosswise. If they are smaller, grill them whole. When the grill is hot, grill tomatoes until lightly charred all over, turning occasionally, 6 to 10 minutes. Grill onion until charred on all sides, turning occasionally, 6 t0 10 minutes. Add the slice of bread and grill both sides until lightly toasted, 2 to 4 minutes. Set everything aside until cool enough to handle.
- Cut tomatoes, onion and bread into large chunks. Puree in batches with orange zest and juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender, until a thick puree is obtained. Chill soup. Before serving, taste and adjust seasoning with pepper and orange juice or vinegar. Pour into bowls and garnish with crab and chives.
- Per Serving: Serving size: About 3/4 cup, 160 calories (35 from fat), 3.5g total fat, 0.5 saturated fat, 20mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 23g carbohydrates, (4 g dietary fiber, 9g sugar), 10g protein.