Mild in flavor and wonderfully versatile, Tilapia works well in family meals, especially with this crumb topping and paired with flavorful green beans.
- 2 slices crusty whole wheat hearth bread, torn into pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound fresh or frozen green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 (4 ounce) tilapia fillets
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Preheat oven to 450°F. Put bread in a food processor and pulse until it forms coarse crumbs. You should have about 1 cup crumbs. Spread crumbs on a rimmed baking sheet and toast them while the oven preheats, until browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Thinly slice 2 garlic cloves and add to the skillet with the onion. Cook 7 to 8 minutes or until beginning to brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in green beans and 1/4 cup water. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until green beans are just tender, stirring once halfway through cooking. Stir in almonds and black pepper. Cover and keep warm.
While the beans cook, crush remaining 2 garlic cloves with a garlic press or grate with a fine grater into a small bowl. Add toasted bread crumbs, parsley and lemon zest and stir until blended. Cut tilapia fillets into 8 serving pieces. Place tilapia on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and drizzle with lemon juice. Press bread crumb mixture on top of fillets and bake 8 to 9 minutes or until flesh is opaque. Serve with green beans.