Thank you for your interest in applying for the Downtown Omaha Farmers Market on Saturdays or the Omaha Farmers Market at Aksarben Village on Sundays. Here is a summary of dates and hours for the 2022 Markets:
Old Market (Saturdays): May 7th-October 15th, 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Aksarben Village (Sundays): May 8-October 16th, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
I want to be a “Season” vendor; do you have any spaces available?
The previous year’s “Season” vendors receive first right of refusal for renewing their space, so it is typically early March before we know if we will have any “Season” spaces available. If you are interested in becoming a “Season” vendor go ahead and fill out the application and send it in so that we have a record of your interest. Please DO NOT send a check or any payment. It is rare for us to add any “Season” vendors after the Market has started for the year.
When will I find out if I have a “Season” space?
There is no firm deadline for this decision. We work with all of our vendors individually and sometimes the process of determining which spaces are available and then, in turn, which vendor and product is the right fit can become complicated. We hope we will be able to let you know towards the middle or end of March. We appreciate your patience.
How does the weekly vendor process work?
- Your first step is to fill out the weekly vendor application. We accept weekly applications throughout the entire season.
- On the application lists all the market dates for the season, please circle the dates that you would be interested in vending at the market. Requesting a date on the vendor application form does NOT guarantee a stall space for that day, it just helps management know who they can or cannot contact if spaces become available. With that said, if you are interested in getting contacted for a space as much as possible, we recommend you circle all dates.
- You will receive an email a week or two in advance of the market IF there is a space available for you. Weekly vendors are scheduled for stall spaces depending on space availability, product mix and market management discretion.
- Weekly vendors should expect to be in a different stall each week they are scheduled. Your schedule flexibility is appreciated as we continue to fill last minute cancellations up until Friday evenings.
Will I get every date that I request as a “Weekly” vendor?
Unfortunately, the answer is probably not. We receive a huge number of weekly applications and we do give priority to produce and plant vendors. Our next step is to give priority to other food vendors, without overwhelming the Market in any one category (such as baked goods). We do our best to give everyone an opportunity and the more potential dates you circle, the more likely you are to get a spot.
When will I find out which dates I have a “Weekly” space?
We generally only assign weekly spaces ONE WEEK to TWO WEEKS at a time. You will receive an email from Market staff a week or two in advance of the Market if there is a space available for you. We continue to fill spaces as we receive last minute cancellation, so yes, you may get an email on Thursday or Friday, but it is always your right to turn down the space. Please respond as soon as possible to confirm if you will or will not accept the space that you have been offered. If we do not hear back from you within 24 hours, the space will be offered to another vendor. You will NOT receive an email if there is NOT a space. We do not allow “stand by” vendors, meaning don’t show up on site hoping for a spot on the day of the Market. This will result in a written violation. You may turn in your application to become a “Weekly” vendor at any time throughout the entire Market season.
How do you handle payments for “Weekly” vendors?
We collect all payments onsite at the Market, one week at a time. Please do not send any payment with your application.
Can I submit one application for both Markets?
Sorry, but no! The Markets’ records and applications are kept separate, and applications must be submitted individually.
Does my product qualify for the Market?
Please print and review the “Category Description and Permitted Products” document. This document should answer most of your questions relating to product qualifications.
Do I need insurance for the markets?
- ALL vendors are required to submit a certificate of insurance naming the Omaha Public Market, Inc. as an additional Insured. The certificate needs to be submitted prior to participation in the markets.
- The general liability policy must have a minimum coverage of $1,000,000 individual/$2,000,000 aggregate
- If you are a farmer and have a farm insurance policy, then contact your insurance agent about adding a rider to your policy to cover the markets.
- You may reach out to your personal insurance agent to obtain this insurance policy or below is the information on the Omaha Public Market’s insurance agent who does specialize in farmer’s markets insurance.
Larry Spilker, Campbell Risk Management
(800) 730-7475 ext 203
I want to sell a non-produce food item at the Market, what do I need to do first?
The first step is to contact the Health Department and find out what their regulations are for the product that you have in mind. Dan Ludwig at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402.444.3347 (Old Market Inspector) OR Adam Carlson at email@example.com 402.444.6886 (Aksarben Village Inspector). You MUST have Health Department clearance/permits before you can sell any non-produce food items at the Market.
Do you accept craft / non-food vendors?
Yes, we do. Don’t forget to send a picture or two of your craft items as requested on the application, an emailed photo is fine, or you may send a link to your website. ALL craft vendors MUST hand-make their product. NO resale of any kind is allowed.
I have other questions, where can I get answers?
Start by printing the Category Description and Permitted Products document AND the Rules & Regulations document that is available on the Vendor Information page of our website. These documents contain valuable information that may address your questions.
If you do not see what you are looking for there, email Kristen at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will do her best to respond to you within 24 hours!
Thanks again for your interest in the Omaha Farmers Market on Saturday in Downtown Omaha and on Sunday in Aksarben Village!